Food & Nutrition Coordinator
- DATES OF POSTING: 08.30.23, opened until filled.
- NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
- POSITION: Food & Nutrition Coordinator
- BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No
- LOCATION(S): Gable Place
- PROGRAM: Community Economic Development
- SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week
- CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt (hourly)
- WAGE: $23.00
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: See Job Description
Capstone Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PROGRAM: Community Economic Development and Food Security (updated July 2023)
- POSITION: Food and Nutrition Coordinator (Washington County)
- BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No
- DATE UPDATED: August 2023
A. General Statement:
The Food and Nutrition Coordinator will manage the Capstone Community Action Food Shelf, support the Community Kitchen Academy (CKA) and identify and respond to needs in the community relating to hunger and nutrition challenges.
The coordinator works under the direction of the Senior Chef Instructor of the Community Kitchen Academy and is a member of the Community Economic Development and Food Security Team.
Project and Funding Source: State of Vermont (3 Squares VT Outreach), and CSBG (Community Service Block Grant), donated funds
B. Essential Functions:
- Assist in maintaining efficient and consistent coverage at the Food Shelf and offer welcoming and helpful support. Input data of customer visits into agency database; maintain updated records yearly.
- Engage families and individuals in a meaningful verbal dialogue for the purpose of mutually assessing their needs. Identify and/or provide appropriate services and referrals.
- Coordinate, and assist in managing volunteers at the Food Shelf, track volunteer hours and dates.
- Develop nutrition education programming opportunities within the food shelf and the Central Vermont Community. Work with area community-based organizations. Provide nutrition information and 3 Squares VT resources and application or renewal assistance through the Food Shelf.
- Oversee weekly home delivery program with assistance from Chef and be available to deliver as needed to homebound families in the Barre area.
- Assist Development staff in finding and securing financial resources to support food and nutrition initiatives when appropriate.
- Coordinate an annual Food Drive for the Capstone Food Shelf.
- Provide supervision to Food Shelf Assistant in the absence of the Chef instructor.
Community Kitchen Academy (CKA):
- Support the Senior Chef instructor with administrative work related to the Community Kitchen Academy including purchase orders, reports, recruitment, student applications, student background checks, and general administrative communications with the Vermont Foodbank, a financial partner of the Community Kitchen Academy.
- Support the Senior Chef instructor with case management administration for CKA students including support with necessary documents for access to ICAN, WIOA, VSAC funding and follow up with students regarding employment status after CKA graduation.
- Assist in Coordinating three CKA graduation ceremonies with the Senior Chef Instructor; design invitations, graduation certificates, and graduation slide show; invite partners, coordinate set up and breakdown of graduation ceremonies.
1. Cultivate and maintain respectful professional relationships with community partners, members, and co-workers.
2. Other duties as assigned to support the work of Capstone Community Action.
C. Other Duties:
1. Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Chef Instructor and/or CED-Food Security Program Director.
2. Maintain records, compile data about services delivered, and submit monthly and quarterly reports in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Manage and perform activities required by the Community Services Block Grant, the Vermont Food Bank, and the 3 Squares VT contracts.
4. Involve and represent Capstone in the broader community. Understanding and interest in current societal issues and events; Develop and increase awareness of issues impacting people with low-income levels.
5. Work collaboratively with area service providers, State agency employees, and other community-based organizations.
- B.A. Degree in relevant experience. Relevant work experience will be considered.
- Minimum of two years' experience with human services. Relevant experience with customer service, administrative and social soft-skills intrapersonal skills a plus. Knowledge/experience of food and nutrition would be helpful.
- Physically capable to meet the demands of the position including strength sufficient to lift cases of food weighing up to 50 lbs. Understanding and use of a hand truck to move food from or into storage, climb into and out of trucks, and lift product onto shelving.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human services, adult development, and educational and human service networks in central Vermont. Demonstrated sensitivity to issues related to poverty and the barriers faced by people with low incomes. Civil Rights training and Mandatory Reporter training will occur in this position through Capstone.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule and evening/weekend hours to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with diverse internal and external constituencies including co-workers, parents and children, service providers, and public officials, and can communicate proactively and constructively- questions concerns, issues, and ideas with Direct Support.
- Demonstrates leadership ability, willingness to adopt a team approach to management and ability to delegate responsibility. Experience managing volunteers.
- A cell phone, computer and wi-fi access and reliable insured transportation, with a valid Vermont driver's license.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Must be able to understand, use, and create basic spreadsheets with fluency.