- DATES OF POSTING: 04/29/2021 – indefinitely
- NUMBER OF POSITIONS: unlimited
- POSITION: Substitute Cook
- BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: No
- LOCATIONS: > Lamoille County Integrative Services Center in Morrisville and The Learning Together Center in Barre
- PROGRAM: Head Start
- SCHEDULE: On an as needed basis
- CLASSIFICATION: Non Exempt (hourly)
- WAGE: $13.04 – 15.38/hour
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: See Job Description
Capstone Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program: Head Start
- Job Title: Cook Pay Grade: 1
- Last Review Date/Update/Change of Job Description: 6/7/16
A. General Statement: The cook is responsible for all aspects of purchasing, preparing and serving nutritious meals and snacks at the Head Start center in accordance with the State of Vermont Child Care Licensing Regulations. The cook is supervised by the team manager and is responsible to the team manager and the health/nutrition manager.
B. Essential Functions:
- Support and implement the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct and the Positive Guidance Policy of the program. Maintain confidentiality of all Head Start child and family information.
- Involve parents in all aspects of planning and meal preparation, incorporating elements of good nutrition, safety, sanitation and appropriate food handling. Actively solicit menu suggestions, ethnic preferences and recipes from parents. Adjust to reflect Head Start guidelines, if necessary.
- Order and/or purchase food and supplies from vendors according to a designated schedule and Head Start and CACFP guidelines.
- Store food, supplies and equipment appropriately and in an organized manner.
- Obtain and record figures on the number of children and adults present each day. Prepare all snacks based on those in attendance. Maintain records and submit them as required.
- Supervise and arrange work schedules for aides and volunteers.
- Involve children in day to day meal preparation, as appropriate, incorporating discussion around elements of good nutrition, safety in the kitchen and educational opportunities related to foods and food preparation.
- Maintain standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation as required by State Child Care Licensing Regulations. Follow designated cleaning schedule.
- Maintain records and submit reports as required.
- Coordinate and participate in nutrition education activities for children.
- Develop and test new recipes and products.
- Participate in professional development activities including staff meetings, team meetings, pre-services and in-service training as determined by the team manager. Meet with team manager to review work, goals and professional development. Develop an individual professional development plan annually. Promote Head Start and Capstone positively and proactively in the community and at meetings and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
C. Other Duties as Assigned
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Willingness to complete food safety and sanitation course approved by health/ nutrition manager.
- Experience in quantity food preparation.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Reliable, insured car. Valid driver’s license. Clean driving record required.
- Ability to maintain records, basic mathematical skills, preparation of written reports.
- Willingness to commit to a flexible work schedule that may include some evenings or weekends.
- Experience, desire to work with children and families.
Location: Barre & Lamoille