About FEMA and Flood Relief

FEMA which stands for Federal Emergency Management Agency, coordinates the federal response to a nationally declared disaster, such as the flood of July 10th.

FEMA works with homeowners and renters to help them apply for financial assistance from the federal government in response to the flooding. This financial help is for homes and stuff inside homes or apartments. It is not for driveway repairs, repairs to barns or detached garages, or other non-home related losses.

Capstone and Assistance with FEMA:

Was your home or apartment damaged by the July 10th flooding?

Capstone Community Action can help you register with FEMA for potential financial assistance and guide you through the process. The deadline for registering with FEMA is currently October 12, 2023. Call (802) 479-1053 to schedule an appointment with Capstone staff today.


FEMA may also be going door to door in the flooded areas and helping people get their names and addresses in the FEMA application system and start the application process for financial assistance.

  • To be eligible to receive FEMA Disaster Assistance, a member of the household must be a citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien of the United States.
  • FEMA will not cover 100% of losses.

Renters: Renters who lost belongings in the flood can apply for Individual Assistance (IA) through FEMA. They can do this by going to www.disasterassistance.gov or with a FEMA representative.

Homeowners: Homeowners can apply for house repair costs as well as their contents that were lost in the flooding by going to www.disasterassistance.gov or with a FEMA representative.

Businesses: Businesses should register with FEMA at www.disasterassistance.gov. The Small business Administration (SBA) will be the conduit for any FEMA grants/loans for eligible businesses. 

General timeline of next steps and actions:

  1. After registering with FEMA, you will receive a call in the next 7 to 10 business days. It is important to answer your phone even if you do not recognize the number calling. The representative will not necessarily leave a message, but make sure your voicemail is set up to receive messages. FEMA representatives will never send texts, emails, or ask for money. They will announce their name and that they are from FEMA.
  2. Renters and homeowners should contact their insurance company to determine if insurance will cover any losses. You will need a letter from your insurance company denying the claim, or stating what they will cover. Renters insurance does not cover flooding, but renters, if they had renter’s insurance, should call to get a letter of denial.
  3. FEMA representatives will set up an appointment to visit your house to assess the damage and take pictures. If the stuff has been thrown out and removed by trash collectors already, you need to provide pictures of what was lost in as much detail as possible and preferably damaged.
  4. Renters and homeowners need to be home when the appointment time is scheduled, which will be up to 10 days from the phone call scheduling the appointment. Remember to add this appointment to your calendar!
  5. Renters and homeowners need to have proof of citizenship, a driver’s license, ID, birth certificate, even a utility bill to show where you live and your identity for your in-person appointment.
  6. The FEMA representative will come to the house and complete the application, uploading pictures from you or taking pictures. Then a report will be submitted to the FEMA application portal. In up to 10 days, a decision will be made by FEMA of whether they have approved or denied the application. Denied applications can be appealed.
  7. Renters and homeowners can receive a check via US mail or Direct Deposit. You will need to provide a mailing address or bank account information.

Important contact info for FEMA: Helpline 1-800-621-3362; available 24 hours, 7 days a week.

FEMA Overview

Subscribe to Our Newsletter