Food Shelf Program Assistant
DATES OF POSTING: 12/2/21-12/10/21, OUF
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
POSITION: Food Shelf Program Assistant
BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: Yes
LOCATIONS: Gable Place
SCHEDULE: up to 25 hours/week
CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: See Job Description
Capstone Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Job Title: Food Shelf Program Assistant Part time-20 hours/week
Pay Grade: 1
Last Review Date/Update/Change of Job Description: 4/9/2021
A. General Statement:
The Program Assistant supports the Food and Nutrition Coordinator. The ideal candidate will work well as a team with the staff and volunteers to create a welcoming and highly functional unit geared toward customer satisfaction. The Program Assistant will provide Food Shelf coverage; support volunteer staff; assist in ordering, receiving and displaying product; and provide administrative support in program content areas. The Assistant works under the direction of the Community Economic Development Food and Nutrition Coordinator.
B. Essential Functions:
- Stock and maintain the Capstone Food Shelf. Display and rotate inventory to maximize distribution and customer eye appeal. Follow all Federal, State and agency health & safety guidelines. Offer welcoming, respectful and helpful support to all Food Shelf customers.
- Conduct confidential intake interviews. Engage customers in a meaningful dialogue for the purpose of mutually assessing their needs.
- Manage all aspects of ordering and receiving product, as well as ensuring adequate levels of product inventory are kept on hand. Provide administrative work in food and nutrition services. Perform data entry in client management software. Update electronic record and paper files.
C. Other Duties:
- Maintain customer confidentiality within Capstone guidelines.
- Participate in ongoing professional development.
- Participate in regular meetings and activities of the CED team. Be an active and constructive member of the department’s community and engage in team activities.
- Maintain and submit all necessary receipts and paperwork within deadlines set
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A High School diploma/GED, or a plan to acquire a diploma/GED within 6 months, and 3 years of relevant work experience, such as customer service and/or Food & Beverage service; Front of House (FOH) or Back of House (BOH).
- Physically able to perform the duties linked to the Essential Functions described herein including, but not limited to, ability to lift cases weighing up to 50 lbs., move pallets, transport inventory from or into storage, and lift food onto shelving.
- Creative problem solver with a willingness to learn. Meticulous, reliable and open-minded. Ability to follow directions and to accept supervision or constructive criticism, and to work independently or collaboratively.
- Demonstrated awareness of, and sensitivity to, issues related to poverty, addiction, mental health, and the resulting barriers faced.
- Established a commitment to racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity, and to fostering a collaborative multicultural environment.
- Possess a friendly, courteous manner and the ability to convey empathy—both verbally and nonverbally—to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of nutrition, food preparation and food insecurity.
- Responsibilities occasionally may require an adjusted work schedule and evening/weekend hours, in order to participate in community classes and other events.
- Capstone is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workplace. We highly encourage people from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds to apply.
- Must have a telephone, reliable insured transportation, and a valid Vermont driver’s license. This position may require pick up or delivery of inventory. Driving record should be free from egregious motor vehicle violations.
- If offered the position, continued employment will be contingent upon a satisfactory criminal history background check and employee must be free from substantiated abuse or neglect or exploitation of vulnerable populations in the appropriate registries.