Head Start Cook
- DATES OF POSTING: 05.05.23 - 05.11.23, Thereafter, Open Until Filled
- NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
- POSITION: Head Start Cook – Starting Date 08/14/2023
- BARGAINING UNIT POSITION: Yes, Union Position
- (Union dues are currently $20.22 bi-weekly, after successful completion of orientation period)
- LOCATION: Morrisville, VT
- PROGRAM: Head Start
- SCHEDULE: Full Time, Regular, 40 hours a week
- CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt (hourly)
- WAGE: $15.45 - $17.59
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: See Job Description
Capstone Community Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Only those applicants selected/or an interview will be contacted.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program: Head Start
- Job Title: Cook
- Pay Grade: 2
- Last Review Date/Update/Change of Job Description: 3/24/2021
A. General Statement: The cook is responsible for all aspects of purchasing, preparing, and serving nutritious meals and snacks at the Head Start center in accordance with the State of Vermont Child Care Licensing Regulations and the Child and Adult Care Food Program. The cook is supervised by the team manager and is responsible to the team manager and the health/nutrition manager.
B. Essential Functions:
- Support and implement the Professionals’ Code of Ethical Conduct and the Positive Guidance Policy of the program. Maintain confidentiality of all Head Start child and family information.
- Involve parents in all aspects of planning and meal preparation, incorporating elements of good nutrition, safety, sanitation, and appropriate food handling. Actively solicit menu suggestions, ethnic preferences, and recipes from parents. Adjust to reflect Head Start guidelines, if necessary.
- Perform inventory control of the food in the kitchen.
- Order and/or purchase food and supplies from vendors according to a designated schedule and Head Start, CACFP, and budget guidelines.
- Store food, supplies, and equipment appropriately and in an organized manner.
- Obtain and record figures on the number of children and adults present each day. Prepare meals and snacks based on those in attendance.
- Train, supervise and arrange work schedules for substitutes, aides, and volunteers.
- Involve children in day-to-day meal preparation, as appropriate, incorporating discussion around elements of good nutrition, safety in the kitchen and educational opportunities related to foods and food preparation.
- Maintain standards of sanitation, safety and food preparation as required by State Child Care Licensing Regulations. Follow the designated cleaning schedule.
- Maintain records and submit reports as required.
- Coordinate and participate in nutrition education activities for children.
- Develop and test new recipes and products.
- Participate in professional development activities including staff meetings, team meetings, pre-services and in-service training as determined by the team manager. Meet with team manager to review work, goals, and professional development. Develop an individual professional development plan annually. Promote Head Start and Capstone positively and proactively in the community and at meetings and initiatives.
C. Other Duties as Assigned
- Minimum of ServSafe certification or completed certification in food safety and sanitation course approved by health/nutrition manager within six months of hire.
- Food service experience.
- Strong organizational, verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain records, basic mathematical skills, preparation of written reports.
- Willingness to commit to a flexible work schedule that may include some evenings or weekends.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof of insurance required.
- Experience, desire to work with children and families.
Location: Morrisville, VT