COVID-19 Recovery Resources

26 August 2020

Resources to support Vermonters recovering from COVID-19.

Are you struggling to recover from the impact of COVID-19?

Capstone Can Help:

The Vermont COVID-19 Arrearage Assistance Program (VCAAP)
We can help eligible Vermonters suffering economic hardship from COVID-19 pay their arrearages for residential and non-residential utility accounts. You may contact us at (802) 479- 1053 or apply online now at

Line Extension Customer Assistance Program (LECAP)
LECAP provides up to $3,000 in assistance to qualifying and eligible consumers who need line extensions to access high speed Internet service. To apply, you may contact us at (802) 479 -1053.

Rapid Resolution Financial Assistance for housing
Short-term or one-time financial help for those experiencing homelessness to achieve safe housing. Call us at 802- 479-1053. 

EMBRACE: Economic Micro Business Recovery Assistance for the COVID-19 Epidemic
The Micro Business Development Program (MBDP) is pleased to announce the Economic Micro Business Recovery Assistance for the COVID-19 Epidemic (EMBRACE) grant. The initial grant application will be available starting August 20th, 2020. These grants will be awarded on a first-come-first-served basis. To qualify for the E.M.B.R.A.C.E. grant program please find more details at

Unemployment is taxable
If you are receiving unemployment benefits, the IRS reminds you to have your tax withheld or pay quarterly estimated taxes to help you avoid a tax-time surprise.  You may contact our Tax Preparation Program Coordinator at (802) 479-1053 with questions or concerns. 

Renter Rebate 
October 15, 2020 is the final deadline for a Renter Rebate Claim. This is different from most tax credits in 2020. For more information please visit or call Laura, Tax Preparation Program Coordinator at (802) 479-1053. 

Register for the 2020 Census
September 30th is still the deadline for data collection. You may also respond online at

Additional Resources:

The Washington County COVID-19 Recovery Public Forum is taking place on September 10th from 6:30-8:30 pm. 
All are welcome & must register:
The Local Solutions and Community Action Team established by Governor Phil Scott are holding these forums all across the state with the following aspirations:

  • Share challenges and ideas for community recovery and resilience as we look ahead to the coming fall/winter months
  • Involve and engage a diverse set of community members in the process

The Washington County forum will revolve around these 4 topics.
Building Community Unity & Health, Housing & Homelessness Prevention, Rethinking Employment & Supporting Business Recovery, and Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation

County reports will be generated as a result and will be used to steer state & county recovery decisions.


Lamoille County residents may reference a full resource list compiled by LAH2S-RCC:


Vermont Legal Aid programs 

Mortgage Assistance Program
This program can pay up to six past due mortgage payments on your home. It is available to all Vermonters who are at least 2 months past due on mortgage payments, have a COVID-related hardship and meet the income requirements. Even people who have mortgages in forbearance are eligible. The application deadline is August 31, 2020, but this deadline very likely will be extended into the fall. Vermont Housing Finance Agency (VHFA) is taking applications for the Vermont COVID Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program. (you do not need to have a VHFA mortgage to be eligible). Learn more about the mortgage assistance on 

Help with past-due rent
For help with past-due rent, Vermonters should apply for the Rental Housing Stabilization Program through the Vermont State Housing Authority (VSHA). Tenants and landlords apply for this program together. There are no income guidelines. VSHA pays landlords directly to bring the tenant’s rent account current. This program will last until December 30, but apply soon, because the program is first-come, first-served. You can get help now, and if you need help again in the fall, you can apply again for the rent that is due then. Learn more about this help for paying past-due rent on .

Moving to a more affordable apartment
If you need to move to a more affordable apartment, and you have found a landlord with an affordable rental unit to move into, you may also be eligible to get help from the Rental Housing Stabilization Program. The program can cover the money needed to move in (for example: first, last and security deposit). It also may cover rent payments through the end of the year. You and your new landlord will need to apply together. Learn more about this help on .

Emergency housing for people who are homeless
The Department of Children and Family's (DCF) Economic Services Division is extending housing supports for homeless households. For more information or to apply, contact the Benefits Service Center at 1-800-479-6151.  Follow this link for the program rules.

If you stay in a shelter or motel, you need to participate in “coordinated entry.” Through coordinated entry, you will be assigned a housing case manager who will help you access subsidies and programs to help you get permanent housing. To learn more about coordinated entry, call 2-1-1. If you worked with your case manager to apply for a subsidy or other program and your application was denied, call Vermont Legal Aid at 1-800-889-2047.

Past Due Utility Bills
The Department of Public Services (DPS) can help with past due utility bills. DPS will provide assistance for account holders with a past due balance of electric, natural gas, landline telephone service or regulated private water bills (not municipal water). Homes and small businesses are eligible. There are no income guidelines, and you don’t have to have a disconnect notice. However, your difficulty paying the bill must be linked to COVID. The funding only covers arrearages after March 1st 2020. Learn more here:


Rental and Housing Assistance

Rental Stabilization Assistance Program at the Vermont State Housing Authority Offering support for Landlords and Tenants

Applications processed on first-come, first-served basis.  Need help navigating the program?

Tenants call VT Legal Aid at 1-800-889-2047.  

Landlords call VT Landlords Association at (802) 985-2764 or (888)569-7368   (no membership required). 


Mortgage Assistance Program at the Vermont Housing Finance Agency

Support for those who are behind on their home mortgage payments. Applications accepted from July 13 - August 31 priority given to those most in need/at risk of foreclosure. 

Need help navigating the program? Call 1-800-889-2047 Monday through Friday, 9 am - 4 pm.


VT State Rental Rehab Program at Downstreet Housing & Community Development 

Grants for Landlords to complete apartment repairs. The program is in development; applications available soon. If you need help navigating the program contact Pattie Dupuis: (802) 477-1343 or

Sign up to get notified when the application is made available. Downstreet is administering this program on behalf of the State of Vermont for Washington, Orange, and Lamoille counties only. For other counties, please see the list of providers on their website.


Updated as of 9/4/2020


Our Locations

Washington County

20 Gable Place, Barre, VT 05641
1-800-639-1053 or (802) 479-1053

Lamoille County

250 Industrial Park, Morristown, VT 05661 1-800-639-8710 or
(802) 888-7993

Orange County East

P.O. Box 500, 22 Whistle Stop Way, Bradford, VT 05033
(802) 222-5419

Orange County West

PO Box 284, 12 Prince Street, Randolph, VT 05060
1-800-846-9506 or (802) 728-9506

Translate this site